Longue Vue House and Gardens was designed and built between 1939-1942 for Edith and Edgar Stern and their three children by landscape architect Ellen Biddle Shipman and architects William and Geoffrey Platt. Edgar Stern was a cotton-broker with business interests in real estate, banking, lumber, oil, publishing, and communication. Edith Stern was the daughter of Augusta Nusbaum Rosenwald and Julius Rosenwald, president of Sears, Roebuck and Company. Their interests included education, the arts, and politics, most notably voters’ rights.
Originally laid out in the 1920s in connection with the Sterns' first home on the site, the Walled Garden, also referred to as the Victory Garden, was one of the first areas Mrs. Shipman worked with in 1935. Originally used as a kitchen garden, the beds were filled with vegetables and herbs, while Japanese Iris surrounded the old cast-iron sugar kettle fountain. By the mid-1930s, the area was used mainly as a cutting garden for flowers, but with World War II eminent, Shipman was commissioned to redevelop the area as a Victory Garden. The Sterns had a son in the Army, a son in the Navy, and a son-in-law in the Air Corps, so it was very important to them to support the war effort in any way possible.
All the plants listed below are appropriate to grow in containers or in the ground for Climate Zone 9.